What mental illnesses prevent you from working?
What does it mean that Social Security grants you a permanent disability pension?, what requirements must the person requesting it meet?, how many grades are there?, but, above all, What illnesses prevent you from working? There are many questions, so let’s go by parts.
To answer all these questions, the first thing to know is that the pension for permanent disability is an economic benefit that recognized by the National Institute of Social Security (INSS) when the worker or worker, after having been subjected to the prescribed treatment and having been medically discharged, presents severe anatomical or functional reductions, foreseeably definitive, that diminish or annul their work capacity.
Having said this, it is necessary to review the list of possible diseases that give the right to receive the pension, among which are the psychic.
What mental illnesses prevent you from developing a job?
First of all, it is vitally important to know that The INSS does not have an official list of pathologies in which it is determined which are the conditions for which permanent disability can be granted. The main reason is that The Medical Court is in charge of evaluating the worker’s disability.
In other words, each ailment affects differentlyso its possible effects may be reflected differently in your abilities and depending on your job position.
This can be seen reflected in the case of an employee with a disease that affects the lower extremities. Although it can have a great impact for those workers who work on their feet all day, there is no doubt that the consequences will not be the same for those who carry out their tasks sitting in the office.
List of mental illnesses in 2023
In any case, these are the mental illnessesthat is, those that affect the mind, with which there are more options to obtain a permanent disability pension:
- Borderline personality or post-traumatic stress
- burnout syndrome
- Drug addiction, gambling or alcoholism
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- obsessive compulsive disorder
How is a permanent disability processed?
there are three Ways to start the process of granting a permanent disability pension.
- It can be started ex officio.
- At the request of the collaborating entities.
- At the request of the interested party.
Also, with regard to where does the process startmention that it must be done at the provincial address of the National Institute of Social Security (INSS) where the potential beneficiary has his residence or at the Social Institute of the Navy (ISM).
How many degrees of permanent disability are there?
Permanent disability, whatever its determining cause, is classified according to the following degrees, as detailed on the Social Security website.
- Partial permanent disability: for the habitual profession the one that, without reaching the degree of total, causes the worker a decrease of not less than 33% in his normal performance for said profession, without preventing him from carrying out the fundamental tasks of the same.
- Total permanent disability: for the habitual profession the one that disables the worker to carry out all or the fundamental tasks of said profession, provided that he can dedicate himself to a different one.
- Absolute permanent disability: for all work the one that completely disables the worker for any profession or trade.
- Major disability: the situation of the worker affected by permanent disability and who, as a consequence of anatomical or functional losses, needs the assistance of another person for the most essential acts of life, such as dressing, moving around, eating and the like.