transport discounts in 2023 by communities
Travel in public transport in 2023 will be the cheapest option to go to work, visit family or take a trip to Spain. The discount of 20 cents per liter of gasoline ceased to be valid on January 1, but the Government approved an aid package to promote a reduction of at least 50% of the price of passes and multi-trip tickets urban and interurban collective public transport.
“The new subsidies are linked to the fact that the Autonomous Communities and the local entities commit to implement and supplement the discounts so that, at least, the price of land transport services under its jurisdiction for regular travelers is reduced by half”, is detailed in the regulation included in the Royal Decree-Law approved by the Council of Ministers. To reach this 50 %, the Government will pay 30%while the other 20% must be financed by regional and local administrations. They are the following:
Renfe. Discounts of 50 and 100%
The new titles may be requested through the Renfe commuter app and, in the case of Media Distancia season tickets, in the Renfe website and through the usual channels.
Cercanías, Rodalies and Media Distancia season tickets, free in 2023 throughout Spain. Users must acquire a title for each calendar four-month period of the year (April 30, August 30 and December 31), pay a deposit and make at least 16 trips during the term of each subscription. In addition, in the case of Media Distancia, Renfe will cancel the free subscription to users who, at least three times, have not canceled their seat reservation at least two hours in advance if they are not going to travel on the train in the end. . To the services already included in 2022, routes are added between Madrid and Salamanca and between A Coruña and Ourense, and the AVE between Murcia and Alicante.
Avant, 50% discount: reduced fares are extended on medium-distance trains at high speed on all titles (Plus Card Subscription, Plus 10 Card or Plus 10-45 Card) throughout 2023. The 50% Avant routes for recurring users are the following:
- Seville-Córdoba-Málaga (with stops at Puente Genil and Antequera).
- Seville-Córdoba-Granada (with a stop in Loja).
- Madrid-Medina del Campo AV.
- Madrid-Ciudad Real-Puertollano.
- Medina del Campo-Zamora.
- To Gudiña-Puebla Sanabria.
- Zamora-Puebla Sanabria.
- Puebla Sanabria-Ourense.
- To Gudiña-Zamora.
- Puebla Sanabria-Medina.
- Medina-A Gudiña.
The discounts in Metro at a general level are 50%, but there are exceptions. They apply to the following cities.
- Barcelona, Valencia, Bilbao, Seville, Malaga and Granada: 50% discounts:
- Majorca: gratuitous year-round for residents who are regular users of the service.
- Madrid: 50% from January 1 to January 31 and 60% from February 1 until June 30, 2023. In addition, 30% on 10-trip tickets and the Blue Card. These will be the prices of the subscriptions depending on the zones.
bus and tram
The rest of land transport, such as line buses, urban buses or trams, will also maintain discounts in 2023. They are as follows, by community.
- Canary and Balearic Islands: Free bus and tram passes. The reduction is not valid for single tickets for one trip.
- Andalusia, Aragon, Cantabria, Castilla la Mancha, Castilla y León, Catalonia, Galicia, the Basque Country, Navarra, the Valencian Community, Murcia and La Rioja: discounts of 50%.
- Asturias: long-distance buses will be free from February 1 (with a minimum of 12 trips in the first quarter of application). The flat rate of 30 euros per month is maintained to travel throughout the community. Up to 50% on urban bus vouchers in some cities.
- Estremadura: free tickets between municipalities in the region and various national destinations originating in Extremadura, from January 11 and on a non-recurring basis, with the SATE card.
- Madrid: 50% from January 1 to January 31 and 60% from February 1 to June 30, 2023. In addition, 30% on 10-trip tickets and the Blue Card.