The OCU warns of false discounts on Black Friday: What rights do I have?
Black Friday for consumer savings. “Instead of paying 25% less, they pay 3% more.” It is the alert launched by the Organization of Consumers and Users (OCU) after report false discounts in the black friday on well-known brands. This is what their latest report includes, in which they have monitored 16,000 products and “only in 6,000 did the previous price appear and 99% had gone up“. They have verified that many brands raise their prices in the weeks leading up to the key day and then point out that they make deep discounts.
Specifically, article 20.1 of Law 7/1996 on Retail Trade Regulation, recently modified to adapt it to the latest European Directive, which, according to the association, establishes that “whenever items with reduced prices are offeredit must appear clearly the above price together with the reduced price”. In addition, it understands by previous price “the lowest that would have been applied in the preceding 30 days”, for which reason the organization has denounced before the Ministry of Consumption that the ‘online’ businesses analyzed calculate the discount based on the previous price “that best suits them, not the cheapest, thus failing to comply with current regulations”.
Thus, urge to “take action” that they “end” with what they considered a “misleading practice” since, “if necessary, the affected businesses be sanctioned in an exemplary manner.” In parallel, he recommended that consumers “be wary of possible discounts” and called on them to report on social networks in case of detecting “irregularities” in prices to “determine if there is any illegal practice.”
Consumer rights when shopping on Black Friday
- In the promotionsany price reduction must be clearly indicated to the consumer with the old price crossed out and the new one or the percentage of the reduction.
- The old price It must be the lowest of the last month, something that, however, does not always happen. Some buyers discover that what has been bought for 100 euros previously marked 150, but days before it cost 100, that is, the same as now.
- The legal guarantees have become three years and the return systems are set by the establishment, but with the obligation of prior information.
- During a promotion, the store may apply some special conditions (do not accept card payments, change your return policy…), but they must announce it clearly and visibly so that all customers can see it.
- If the product is in perfect condition, the establishment you are not required to change it, although most businesses do, as it is a good business practice. In any case, they do not have to return the money: they can also exchange it for another item or a voucher.
- Discounted products must have the same quality as always: The rule does not allow defective products to be sold as discounted.
Consumer rights in online purchases
- When shopping online, the consumer is especially protected. The regime of change and return of products is regulated and the consumer has 14 days to repent and return the productand without giving explanations: they will have to refund everything you paid.
- The delivery will be agreed upon by the consumer and the company. If there is a commitment to do it in a week, it has to be at that time and, if not, has a maximum of 30 days.
- These protection rules apply if the purchase occurs within the EU, but if not -something frequent when buying online-, the conditions They will be the ones marked by the store in that country.
- Avoid making bank transfers because it is very difficult to roll them back. If they are going to pay “online”, the best is a prepaid carda credit card or Paypal, because this way it will be possible to recover the money in case of fraud or non-delivery.
- Be careful with the website you buy from. You have to go to secure stores, which have domains with secure connection protocol “https://”, which indicate that they are legitimate and real websites, and that they show the security padlock when processing payments.
- There’s a lot fraudulent pages, who post products with hook prices, very cheap, so that the consumer “snacks” and, when he does, he later checks that it is either not original or a scam. The first thing the consumer has to know is who they buy from and where they buy.
*The article has been translated based on the content of lainformacion.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!
For all the latest news click here
Denial of responsibility! HOS is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – at firstname.lastname@example.org The content will be deleted within 24 hours.