Is permanent disability compatible with the subsidy for people over 52 years of age?
Social Security grants a pension for total permanent disability to working people who suffer from illness, injury or accident for which their working capacity is reduced or annulled. Those who receive this benefit are likely to wonder if they can return to work or, where appropriate, collect the amount at the same time as the allowance for people over 52 years of age of the State Public Employment Service (SEPE), if they fall into a unemployment situation. And the truth is that this is only possible if a series of requirements are met.
The body managed by the Ministry of Inclusion, Social Security and Migrations, led by José Luis Escrivá, contemplates four degrees of permanent disability: partial, total, absolute and great disability. Each one has its particularities since, for example, with the first one it is possible to continue working in the same profession, while the absolute one allows return to the labor marketbut to a different profession, not the usual one.
Therefore, there are people who have been granted permanent disability, but can return to work, make contributions and, if necessary, request benefits. SEPE unemployment benefits, such as the subsidy for people over 52 years of age. This is one of the most popular, since you can charge until you reach the legal retirement age and contribute to the pension.
Can I collect the pension and the subsidy at the same time?
Yeah, it is possible to reconcile a total permanent disability pension with the subsidy for people over 52 years of age. This is because the unemployment may be collected at the same time as said benefit for the habitual profession, although the requirements that it is necessary to fulfill are somewhat more complex:
- Meet the conditions that give the right to the pension for total permanent disability and the subsidy, that is, be in legal status of unemploymenthave exhausted the contributory benefit to which they were entitled and, if they do not have the right to unemployment, have contributed for at least 90 days.
- Meet the requirements to access the retirement pensionthat is, having contributed for at least 15 years, of which six must belong to the General Social Security Regimeand two must be within the last 15 years prior to the application for the subsidy.
- Added to this is the fact that you have to have income for below 75% of the Minimum Interprofessional Salary (SMI)that is, 750 euros per month.
What is the amount of the permanent disability pension?
As previously indicated, becoming a beneficiary of a total permanent disability benefit and a subsidy for people over 52 years of age is not easy, since the contributory pension increased by 8.5% on January 1, 2023, as approved by the Government of Spain at the end of 2022.
Therefore, in most cases, the minimum amounts of permanent disability will be above 75% of the SMI -excluding the proportional part of the two extra payments-, which means that you will not be entitled to receive it along with the subsidy for people over 52 years of age. However, the minimum amounts depend on the situation of the applicant:
- total permanent disability with 65 years or older: 966.19 euros per month with a dependent spouse, 783.04 euros per month without a spouse, or 743.22 euros per month with a non-dependent spouse.
- total permanent disability between 60 and 64 years of age: 905.86 euros per month with a dependent spouse, 732.59 euros per month without a spouse, or 692.44 euros per month with a non-dependent spouse.
- Total permanent disability derived from common disease: 577.22 euros per month with a dependent spouse, 577.22 euros per month without a spouse, or 572.22 euros per month with a non-dependent spouse.