Dakar Rally 2023: Sainz gives the first blow of the Dakar to Al-Attiyah and Peterhansel
Carlos Sainz junior He could not have chosen a better day to visit his father in the Dakar. The youngest of the family has witnessed an exhibition by the Bullfighterwhich was redone from a puncture in the first kilometers of the day to end winning the first stage of the Dakar 2023 and climb to the leadership of the general.
Sainz I had ordered a today gives “no problems and no errors” and although it was not entirely clean for that initial mishap… the rest is it was fulfilled. because this time your navigation was perfect… and not so that of its rivals.
From less to more
That Initial Setback it took him more than two minutes Carlos Sainz when the first 40 kilometers of the special had barely been completed and, furthermore, it happened before entering the rocky area, with which the ghost of tire problems floated in the air (although he was finely primed with one of the their peers).
However, it was soon found that Madrid had rhythm because, first, he was keeping up with the fastest men in the first half of the day (especially ekstrom Y chicherit) and then cutting distances on all of them and also on Sebastien Loebwhom he finally surpassed by just 23 seconds (and he remains 10 in the general of the Spanish).
So much ekstrom What Loeb they sank in the last phases of the stage (the Swede had problems validating a waypoint in that final section), which allowed Sainz to score his first win of the year and his third at the wheel of the Audi RS Q e-tron E2. In addition, it is the second win consecutive run of the German brand in this Dakar.
Sinking of Al-Attiyah and Peterhansel
The balance of this first day could not be better for Sainz because to the partial triumph is added the juicy booty of time what has he achieved about Al Attiyah Y peterhansel (the latter weighed down by two punctures that left him without spare wheels), two of his two main opponents.
Qatar, defender of the Dakarian crown, has left more than seven minutes with respect to Spanish while Monsieur Dakar gone even further back, to 8:51. Thus, Sainz enjoys 7:09 over the Toyota in the general and almost nine minutes on Peterhansel. Undoubtedly a hard first blow for the aspirations of both… in just the first big day of the Dakar.
Provisional classification of the prologue stage of the Dakar 2023 in cars
1. Carlos Sainz/Lucas Cruz (Audi) 3h 20:41
2. Sebastien Loeb/Fabian Lurquin (BRX) at 23 s.
3. Mattias Ekstrom/Emil Bergvist (Audi) at 47 sec.
Four. Guerlain Chicherit/lex Winocq (BRX) at 1:04.
5. Yazeed Al-Rajhi/Dirk Von Zitzewitz (Toyota) at 1:59.
7. Orlando Newfoundland/lex Haro (BRX) at 6:59
8. Nasser Al-Attiyah/Mathieu Baumel (Toyota) at 7:09.
9. Jakub Przygonski/Armand Monlen (Mini) at 8:52.
10. Stephane Peterhansel/Edouard Boulanger (Audi) at 8:54.
Provisional general classification of cars of the Dakar 2023
1. Carlos Sainz/Lucas Cruz (Audi) 3h 28:55
2. Sebastien Loeb/Fabian Lurquin (BRX) to 10 sec.
3. Mattias Ekstrom/Emil Bergvist (Audi) at 33 sec.
Four. Guerlain Chicherit/lex Winocq (BRX) at 1:03.
5. Yazeed Al-Rajhi/Dirk Von Zitzewitz (Toyota) at 2:01.
6. Orlando Newfoundland/lex Haro (BRX) at 7:05
7. Nasser Al-Attiyah/Mathieu Baumel (Toyota) at 7:07.
8. Stephane Peterhansel/Edouard Boulanger (Audi) at 8:51.
9. Jakub Przygonski/Armand Monlen (Mini) at 8:54.